Thursday, May 7, 2020

Covid Cafe: Freezer Finds, Part 2--Digging Deep for Cranberries


I enjoy a happy freezer find as much as the next person. Once I dispensed with that giant bag of gross Brussels sprouts I freed up lots of room for chocolate and meat. Connie found a bag of cranberries, which she thinks un-seasonal, but which we love any time for their tart color.


Connie writes: I bought granny smiths during my last grocery shopping trip. Since I had already made a pie during this sheltering in place, I thought a crisp might be nice.  Found some cranberries in my freezer, and even though not very springlike, decided to search on line for an apple cranberry crisp recipe. 



I used this recipe from Leite's Culinaria and was pleased with the results. 


(My whipped cream dispenser is calling from the fridge...)

Read a heartwarming story about Lakeview Pantry here. "Kellie O'Connell, CEO of the Lakeview Pantry, said it raised enough money on Giving Tuesday to provide 829,000 meals to those in need."

Love this kid
 
Lennox Platt, 6, started collecting food donations outside of his Lincoln Park home that he and his mother deliver to the Lakeview Pantry every week. Photo: Kathleen Platt



This picture will remind me to research
whether hostas are edible 
(I would rather eat them than look at them)


 Poetry
 May
The backyard apple tree gets sad so soon,
takes on a used-up, feather-duster look
within a week.

The ivy’s spring reconnaissance campaign
sends red feelers out and up and down
to find the sun.

Ivy from last summer clogs the pool,
brewing a loamy, wormy, tea-leaf mulch
soft to the touch

and rank with interface of rut and rot.
The month after the month they say is cruel
is and is not.

Rob walks Chicago: redbud


Music
Bolero Juilliard 

No comments:

Post a Comment