Monday, April 6, 2020

Covid Cafe Brunch: Bayfield Crustless Quiche + Coquito Salut

Let's pour a coquito, chefs, before we make brunch. What the heck it's Monday.
"Anthony Fauci washes his hands 50 times a day!" is my new mantra. Sometimes I yell it out to Art just to bug him.
Fungus photo by Art
Heather checked in from Hyde Park and we're so happy she did: I have been craving coquito (Puerto Rican eggnog) since the day the shelter-in-place order came out. I had it for the first time this past Christmas and whether it was the rum, being with family, or the laughter that ensued because of the rum and being with family, it screamed comfort to me. 
I had to wait in line at Walmart today to get toilet paper. Each part of that sentence hurts my soul in a  profound way. But the store brand ingredients helped me find a little comfort in the crazy. I didn't have coconut cream so used coconut milk (and at Walmart bought that powder, which is actually pretty good). After waiting in line and then spraying down everything I bought and then changing out of all my clothes, I couldn't wait for it to chill so I poured it over ice. (Ed note: all in on that idea.)

 Bayfield Crustless Quiche
Now here's Holly with a quiche that works each and every time, and if you're like me you occasionally riff on the vegetable components. This dish is named for a family vaca in Bayfield, WI, where we first made it but more importantly where we all nearly died in our kayaks on Lake Superior when a wicked wind came up (that is the truth and it remains a chilling memory).




Bayfield Crustless Quiche
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup milk
6 eggs
ground pepper
nutmeg (optional)
2 T butter
1 leek (pale green part) or onion, sliced
10 oz spinach
1 cup grated cheddar
1/2 cup grated parm
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup milk
6 eggs
ground pepper
nutmeg (opt)
2 T butter
1 leek  (pale green part)  or onion
10 oz spinach
1 cup  grated cheddar
1/2 cup grated parmesan


A joyful brunch on a worrisome Monday, Heather and Holly. Would that we could gather for this right now!

Ode To Joy
Virtual Colorado Symphony

No comments:

Post a Comment