Saturday, April 25, 2020

Covid Cafe: Good Job

As Alicia says, chefs: good job. We’re making it one day at a time, not looking too far into the future lest it take us down. If Alicia’s new anthem doesn’t bring tears, you may already be cried out. Here’s the background on her timely already-classic.

Good Job
Alicia Keys

The mothers, the fathers, the teachers that reach us
Strangers to friends that show up in the end
From the bottom to the top, the listeners that hear us
This is for you, you make me fearless


Coatis en Mexico

Now for some food...

Collette wrote to say she was using up eight cups of chicken stock, making things to share with her housemate, who doesn't eat onion or mushroom. Thus the ability to add his own ingredients to the stock. To hers she added super-greens, carrots, celery, and pasta and then mushroom stock, cotija cheese, green beans, poblano peppers, and chicken. Also, toasted matzo crackers with everything bagel-seasoning blend. 

(I am right here with my bowl.)

 Holding on
Jim Kearns sent an evocative description of one of his paintings: The flowering cactus on the blog reminded me of a painting I made a few years back. On my more or less frequent walks I watched a rotting stump in a neighbor’s yard trying hard to hold on to its former self. One can metaphor that endlessly.  Never thought I’d feel sorry for a dying stump. But there it is.

Sheet pan mania
We've got two sheet-pan suppers today...
The first from Rob who says: Tonight was Vinegar Chicken with Crushed Olive Dressing sheet-pan chicken redux served with greek fries and, oh,  some ramps frozen from last spring! I amped up the olives and also the oregano.  This could use some cherry tomatoes in the last five minutes. The ramps added a wonderful aroma and flavor.


Our friend Jon in Indy wrote: I was inspired by Rob's sheet-pan dinner, which I've done in the past. I took some of his ideas along with another recipe using Italian sausage and my own my additions.

I tossed sweet potato, red peppers, and shallots with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roasted them at 450 along with the sausages. Then I massaged Swiss chard with a mixture of olive oil, sherry vinegar, honey, and dijon and added it to the pan until done. 
Would tweak a few things but it was good for a first try with this combination.

(The sheet-pan brigade is welcome to leave leftovers on my doorstep...)

 
Winner: Jennifer Heiligenthal
Missing the routine
Exploring things uncertain
Alaska tough though

Runner-up: Kathleen McArdle
We were not ready.
Choices made in a crisis...
Waiting for results.

Second Runner-up: Matt Skotnicki
Our world together
A chance to make things better
Everything can change



Bonus video 
Randy Rainbow reminds us to laugh
 (click here to view in browser)







No comments:

Post a Comment