Monday, June 8, 2020

Covid Cafe: Stencils and More Food


Herbs from the CSA box

Chefs, people need to be fed during these turbulent times. What are you making for food? And what other efforts have you been working on? Today Kay checks in with a remarkably clever art project on her roof deck...

Kay writes: In my townhouse development, there’s a deck fire escape that runs across the building and sits on the edge of my personal roof deck.  The HOA is responsible for it, but it doesn’t match my Trex decking. With the stay-at-home effort, I wanted to sit on my roof and look at something pretty, so I decided to paint a section of the fire escape deck.  
 

I wanted it to have the same color palette as my outdoor rug (ed. note: see a piece of her outdoor rug at right) and thus I got inspired to make it look like a rug.  I mixed wood stain sealant for the base color, found some stencils on amazon, and measured and taped till I ran out of tape. Projects like this keep me from being bored and eating everything in my kitchen.  
 

Thanks to Food52’s 10 Black Food Bloggers to Follow here's another recommendation for Covid Cafe chefs to check out. The Hungry Hutch is run by Aaron Hutcherson, who says: I like to eat. I like to cook. I like to experiment. I like to share. I like you. Hopefully this will inspire you to conquer your own kitchen and cook something yourself.    

Clicking through to his favorites, I'm wishing I had the ingredients in-house to make them all, and especially this one.


A handful of seeds planted in late March has delivered a salad every day for six weeks. The mustards are blooming now (making more seeds for the next planting). We eat the flowers too. 

Poetry

The Bean Eaters



They eat beans mostly, this old yellow pair.   

Dinner is a casual affair.

Plain chipware on a plain and creaking wood,   

Tin flatware.



Two who are Mostly Good.

Two who have lived their day,

But keep on putting on their clothes   

And putting things away.



And remembering ...

Remembering, with twinklings and twinges,

As they lean over the beans in their rented back room that is full of beads and receipts and dolls and cloths, tobacco crumbs, vases and fringes.



FYI
Art feeds this chipmunk sunflower seeds
(against my better judgement)
 


Music
 Lean on Me - ArtistsCAN

No comments:

Post a Comment