Monday, July 6, 2020

Covid Cafe: Very Chocolate Ice Cream


Eggplant flower
 

Well, chefs, if I had an actual ice cream maker like Holly I'm not sure I'd eat anything else. Today she returns with a recipe that's really a custard since it includes eggs, and the result is all the richer for it.

Holly writes: I didn't remember to take pictures during the cooking...I guess I was too focused on stirring.  
 

Very Chocolate Ice Cream
  •     3/4 cup sugar 
  •       1 cup milk
  •      1/4 teaspoon salt
  •      2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  •    3 egg yolks, lightly beaten·     
  •    2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped 
  •     2 cups heavy cream 
  •     1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar, milk, salt, and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer. 

Place the egg yolks into a small bowl. Gradually stir in about 1/2 cup of the hot liquid. and return to the saucepan. Heat until thickened, but do not boil. 

Remove from the heat, and stir in the chopped chocolate until chocolate is melted. 

Pour into a chilled bowl, and refrigerate for about two hours until cold, stirring occasionally.

When chocolate mixture has completely cooled, stir in the cream and vanilla.

Pour into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

From Chicago to SW Michigan
This delicate pink hydrangea was being dug up from Rob's Chicago parkway. Happily, he called me and I rushed over with a bag and transported it here. Yesterday it was encrusted with pollinators, best friends of the garden.

Music
I Remember Everything 
The last recorded song by John Prine. 
Written by Prine and his longtime collaborator Pat McLaughlin.
I’ve been down this road before 
I remember every tree 
Every single blade of grass 
Holds a special place for me 

And I remember every town 
And every hotel room 
And every song I ever sang
 On a guitar out of tune 

I remember everything 
Things I can’t forget 
The way you turned and smiled on me 
On the night that we first met 

And I remember every night 
Your ocean eyes of blue 
How I miss you in the morning light 
Like roses miss the dew 

Summer squash
from our CSA box

Poetry

The Health-Food Diner

No sprouted wheat and soya shoots
And Brussels in a cake,
Carrot straw and spinach raw,
(Today, I need a steak).

Not thick brown rice and rice pilaw
Or mushrooms creamed on toast,
Turnips mashed and parsnips hashed,
(I'm dreaming of a roast).

Health-food folks around the world
Are thinned by anxious zeal,
They look for help in seafood kelp
(I count on breaded veal).

No smoking signs, raw mustard greens,
Zucchini by the ton,
Uncooked kale and bodies frail
Are sure to make me run
to
Loins of pork and chicken thighs
And standing rib, so prime,
Pork chops brown and fresh ground round
(I crave them all the time).

Irish stews and boiled corned beef
and hot dogs by the scores,
or any place that saves a space
For smoking carnivores.

No comments:

Post a Comment