Saturday, July 4, 2020

Covid Cafe: When Life Gives You Shrimp...


Welcome, chefs of Covid Cafe. What are you making for the holiday weekend? Grilling may be tradition, but we had a summer squash stir-fry this morning, with leftover ground lamb and feta. Rob joins us today with an on-sale shrimp creation.
in flower

Rob writes: On the last day of the shrimp sale I bought two bags, half off. I riffed on several recipes, pulling heavily from the basil in the courtyard. Shrimp, leftover Hazan tomato sauce (ed. note: if you've never made Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce with onion and butter, click here and prepare to be amazed when you do), basil, garlic, capers, lemon, and more diced tomatoes.  Perfect!
 

Shrimps in the pan.  Basically a par sauté.

Shrimp came out and in went the sauce ingredients, finished with the butter, basil, and capers.  Plated up nicely over a smidge of rice.

Summer 2020 still life:
sun tea with drying masks

Music

Laura Nyro

Save The Country

Dustin's bountiful

Nashville garden

 

Poetry

Freedom


Freedom will not come
Today, this year
            Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
            To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I’m dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow’s bread.
            Freedom
            Is a strong seed
            Planted
            In a great need.
            I live here, too.
            I want my freedom
            Just as you.   

 

Carly's growing outsized poblano peppers

in Orlando 

(remember her banana tree?)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment