Saturday, May 4, 2019

Maitai Bay Headland Track

Whatta way to wake up, to the pounding waves of Maitai Bay and then a solid walk to the top of the headlands to north.


Art has a phone app called Footpath that's very handy. It shows you nearby walking trails.



This was a most salutary walk, partly through groves of kanuka and low shrubby manuka.

Bees favor the manuka with its tiny white blossoms, and there was a riot of these industrious creatures at the hives along our way.

I miss the bees that lived on our city roof. Did you ever read the story of our honey harvest on Division Street? Click here for more.

To me, NZ smells like...honey, and not only because bees are inscribing lazy messages above our path. Be watchful when you purchase manuka honey. NZ has standards for what can and cannot be claimed. This honey is expensive and the good stuff worth every teaspoon. I have a small blob of it in my milky tea every day.

We're nearing the apex of the hike. Fork in the road (save it for the potato salad).




I left a large and very full bag of groceries in the shared fridge at our last campsite. Seriously reproving myself, I wrote my sister about this and she said: I imagine it was mostly vegetables. Does she know me or what?

Still a few vegetables left
Art's first question regarding this episode was: Was my ham in there? LOL, everyone has priorities.

Yesterday on the way in we stopped at a wee dairy (convenience store) where they had these raspberry kiwis--look how beautiful.

And some locally made sausage.


Art grilled these babies up and...I'll say right now that Snagman knows its business. The spicing was delicate and perfectly balanced. Who could say no to smokey bacon and maple syrup? We're for certain returning to that store for more.

On the last leg of the walk back, the half-moon curve of Maitai Bay.

And, horses. We're on their property, that's for sure. Just in time for the Derby...


This one stood in the middle of the path like it expected something. I showed it my open (and empty) hands and it moved away directly.
 

In the upper campground not far from us, here's a man camping with a unique kit: kitchen and toolshop on wheels. Also, an "It's five o'clock somewhere" sign. The picture in there of him with his wife made me unspeakably sad, but he was enjoying his cigarette and coffee and seemed of good cheer.


Good day, campers.







No comments:

Post a Comment